Law Offices of Lisa Stern
Effective, Efficient Family Law Representation Since 1995
Let’s Talk:
248-973-7842 | 800-550-3717

What happens when parents fail to pay child support in MI?

Whether you have already filed for divorce in Michigan or you are in the primary stages of filing for divorce, the non-custodial parent will be ordered to pay child support for the children who are involved in the case. Child support is designed to bridge the financial gap that is often created during a divorce when parents separate and move into different living situations. Not only does it help the custodial parent make ends meet, but it ensures that your children are exposed to the same quality of life that they would have been if you and your spouse had stayed together. In some cases, negligent parents do not make their court-ordered child support payments. As a result, the child fails to receive the financial support they need and deserve.

According to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, there are a number of methods that officials use to enforce child support payments. The child support amount may be held out of the delinquent parent’s paycheck, workers’ compensation payments, Social Security benefits and/or unemployment benefits. Furthermore, money may be intercepted from the parent’s federal or state income tax refund.

Another form of child support enforcement involves suspending the negligent parents’ driver’s licenses and/or professional licenses. Once the parent has missed more than two payments, the past due amount is reported to the credit agency, and will have a negative reflection on the parent’s credit report. In some cases, the parent who disregards the court ordered child support order may face criminal charges and prison time. 

This information should be used for educational purposes and should not be taken as legal advice.

Contact Our Firm

Partner With Us On The Road Ahead

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • Map
  • Map

1760 South Telegraph Road
Suite 300
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302

Toll Free: 800-550-3717
Phone: 248-973-7842
Fax: 248-335-3346
Map & Directions

719 Griswold Street, Suite 620
Chrysler House
Detroit, MI 48226

Map & Directions