Law Offices of Lisa Stern
Effective, Efficient Family Law Representation Since 1995
Let’s Talk:
248-973-7842 | 800-550-3717

How to modify a child support order

If you decide to file for divorce, your children could suffer certain emotional and financial changes that can affect their lives in many ways. As a way to reduce the financial deficits that children may experience, the court may order the non-custodial parent to pay child support to the custodial parent. Both parents are financially responsible for supporting their children whether or not they are married. Even after a child support order is issued, however, certain life events may come up that changes the amount of money a person makes, as well as their ability to make their ordered payments. In these cases, a child support modification may be necessary.

According to Michigan legislation, the court will review child support orders every 36 months. If a parent wishes to have a support order reviewed before this time, he or she can submit a motion to change a child support order. In addition to the application, the parent must submit information, such as the last three business tax returns (if applicable), last personal tax return and four recent paycheck stubs. You may also want to submit any other documents that supports your reasoning for the change in child support amount.  The Friend of the Court will review your case and will recommend to the court if the child support change should be made.

If you or your former spouse experiences a job loss, acquires a new position, is injured and unable to work or is incarcerated, you may be awarded a child support modification.

This information is intended to educate and should not be taken as legal advice. 

Contact Our Firm

Partner With Us On The Road Ahead

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • Map
  • Map

1760 South Telegraph Road
Suite 300
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302

Toll Free: 800-550-3717
Phone: 248-973-7842
Fax: 248-335-3346
Map & Directions

719 Griswold Street, Suite 620
Chrysler House
Detroit, MI 48226

Map & Directions