December 30, 2016

How to modify a child support order in Michigan

If you decide to file for divorce, your children could suffer certain emotional and financial changes that can affect their lives in many ways. As a way to reduce the financial deficits that children may experience, the court may order the non-custodial parent to pay child support to the custodial parent. Both parents are financially responsible for supporting their children whether or not they are married. Even after a child support order is issued, however, certain life events may come up that change the amount of money a person makes, as well as their ability to make their ordered payments. In these cases, a child support modification may be necessary.

According to Michigan legislation, the court will review child support orders every 36 months. If a parent wishes to have a support order reviewed before this time, he or she can submit a motion to change a child support order. In addition to the application, the parent must submit information, such as the last three business tax returns (if applicable), the last personal tax return, and four recent paycheck stubs. You may also want to submit any other documents that support your reasoning for the change in child support amount.  The Friend of the Court will review your case and will recommend to the court if the child support change should be made.

If you or your former spouse experiences a job loss, acquires a new position, is injured and unable to work or is incarcerated, you may be awarded a child support modification.

This information is intended to educate and should not be taken as legal advice.