May 17, 2024

How To Calculate Child Support in Michigan

A child support order in Michigan is intended to provide children with consistent financial resources.. These orders aim to ensure that both parents have the financial means to provide the basic needs for their child, such as clothing, food, and shelter.  Being the subject of a child support order may feel overwhelming. However, it is […]

Read More

October 24, 2023

How to Go About Securing Your Rights as a Father in Michigan

Even though the law is gender-neutral when it comes to child custody determinations, fathers often find themselves facing an uphill battle when trying to secure meaningful time with their children. As a result, fathers tend to be put in a position where they have to be proactive in securing and protecting their father’s rights. But […]

Read More

July 25, 2023

Can You Hold Your Former Spouse in Contempt?

When a final order is issued in your divorce or family law matter, you might breathe a sigh of relief. The order might mark the end of a highly contentious situation, and the resolution might be fair under the circumstances. However, that order is only valuable if it’s enforced. And in too many instances, individuals […]

Read More

April 20, 2023

Protecting Your Business in a Divorce in Michigan

Divorce can have a major impact on your business. If you are a business owner, you may even stay in a bad marriage or put off filing for divorce because you worry about what it can do to your business. This is understandable and a natural fear since divorce can have a major effect on […]

Read More

January 18, 2023

How to Gather Evidence to Prove Parental Alienation

Parental alienation is more common than most people realize, and the impact that it can have on a child is extraordinary. If your child is being manipulated by the other parent, they may experience low self-esteem, anxiety, trust issues, anger, guilt, poor school performance, and behavioral issues. And that just scratches the surface of the […]

Read More

December 27, 2022

Escaping an Unfair Michigan Prenuptial Agreement

Many Michigan couples sign prenuptial agreements before they wed. Most such agreements serve their intended purpose very well: reducing the amount of stress and acrimony if the couple decides to terminate their marriage. Occasionally, however, one spouse discovers that the prenuptial agreement is unfair; perhaps a term regarding spousal support deprives one spouse of necessary […]

Read More

December 12, 2022

When Might There Be a Civil Contempt Hearing Over Child Support?

In Michigan, child support orders are expected to be followed. That means the parent who has been ordered to make the payments must do so on time and in full. The receiving parent might not know what options are available if the payments are late, there is underpayment or they are not paid at all. […]

Read More

November 28, 2022

What Is a “Parenting Plan”?

Parents in Michigan want what is best for their children. However, if those parents have gone through a divorce—or if they have never been married at all—either way, they may need to develop child custody and child support arrangements that are designed to be implemented in the “best interests” of the children. A “parenting plan” […]

Read More

November 10, 2022

What Does Serving a Child’s Best Interests Mean in Child Custody?

Michigan couples who are getting divorced will hear many terms they might be relatively familiar with as the case moves forward. When child custody is being addressed or there is an outright dispute, the child’s “best interests” will come to the forefront. While the term may sound self-explanatory, there are specific details that the sides […]

Read More

October 27, 2022

Using a real estate appraiser to value the family home

A high-asset Michigan couple who has decided to dissolve their marriage must face the difficult issue of valuing their assets so they can be divided equitably. For these couples, valuing the family home can be the most difficult issue in the division of their assets. Not only is the family home perhaps the couple’s single […]

Read More