1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » Paternity

What Is A Paternity Action?

If your name isn’t on the child’s birth certificate in Michigan, you will need to establish paternity before you will have a right to seek custody or visitation rights. Paternity can be established in two ways:

  • By having the mother sign an acknowledgment of paternity
  • By DNA testing

Once paternity is established, child custody and support are established the same way for unmarried parents as for married parents.

If you do not believe that you are the father of a child, you can also disestablish paternity using a DNA test. However, if you were married to the mother at the time the child was born, you are legally the father — even if you are not married.

As your lawyer, Lisa D. Stern will guide you through the legal steps to obtain child custody, visitation and support.

Learn more about issues faced by unmarried parents, and please read our article ” The Importance of Establishing Paternity in Michigan.”

Contact Bloomfield Hills Attorney Lisa D. Stern

For an initial consultation with Michigan paternity lawyer Lisa D. Stern, call 800-550-3717 or complete our online contact form. You can discuss every aspect of child custody, visitation and support for unmarried parents with utmost candor and confidentiality.

Share This