Modifying Child Support Orders In Michigan

When a child support order is created, it reflects each parent’s financial situation at the time. But what if something happens? What if you are receiving child support and find out that your child’s other parent just received a hefty raise? Or what if you are obligated to make support payments, but you just lost your job?

Thankfully, Michigan law allows for a change in support payments – known as a modification – when there has been a substantial change in circumstances. If you are seeking to change the amount of support you receive or pay, let us help you. The process of setting this change in motion and successfully increasing or decreasing support amounts is riddled with complicated rules and procedural pitfalls. We can guide you through the process and advocate on your behalf so that you can focus on your life, your children and your peace of mind.

When Can I Request A Change In Child Support?

Since Lisa Stern began focusing on unique child custody, visitation and support issues, she has encountered a wide range of situations where modifications to child support were appropriate. This includes:

  • A parent losing a job
  • A parent obtaining a promotion and pay increase at work
  • A child’s changing needs requiring more support
  • Medical issues affecting one parent’s ability to make payments
  • A change in the custody/visitation arrangement affecting how much time each parent spends with the child
  • A parent having additional children at a later time

These are just a few of the reasons why you may be able to request a change to child support. Each situation is unique, so having us review your specific circumstances will give you a better idea of whether you can ask for a change and how much of a change the court is likely to grant.

Answers To Your Most Important Questions

When you have questions about making a change to child support, let us give you the answers you need. Call our office in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, at 248-335-5000 to schedule a consultation.

practice areas

Contact Attorney Lisa D. Stern

For an initial consultation with attorney Lisa D. Stern, call 248-335-5000 or complete our online contact form. You can discuss every aspect of child support with the utmost candor and confidentiality.